Saturday 13 August 2016

Glossybox June 2016

Reminder: this box is £10 a month + £3.25 P+P.

First impressions:
Glossybox has taken a leaf out of Birchbox: this box has a good skincare and makeup mix. It makes me wonder why they do the starter boxes that way if they aren't an indicator of what the proper boxes will be like. Not complaining though, as I much prefer this format. I'd like more in the way of hair products, as this box doesn't have anything for hair and the hair ties last month don't count as a hair product (to me anyway), but it's better than the starter box was. I'm hoping that it isn't a one-off.

Two sunscreens in a row! Hopefully this one is nicer than the one from the last box. It's good that there's some aftersun as well, as that's something I can get through very quickly so it's always nice to have another one. The spoiler for this box was the lip and cheek tint but the real star for me is that Konjac sponge. I have wanted one for ages and they're not sold anywhere around here, so I am really glad I got that to try. It was a total surprise as well, since I never saw anything about it anywhere beforehand. The eye cream is tiny but then it's just an eye cream, so I assume that it's still going to last for ages and be a good size for what it is. I've heard of Origins before but never used any of their products and the other brands are all new to me. I'm assuming that everything is full size except for the Origins eye cream.

Here's what I got this month! 




1) Spa to You Konjac Sponge - RRP £6.99





5/5
I was so excited to get a Konjac sponge that the rest of the products in the box seemed less interesting in comparison. I've wanted one for ages, but getting hold of one doesn't seem very easy. I was so excited to give this a try and it didn't let me down. It felt a bit weird when I got it out of the packaging as it was actually wet already, which I wasn't expecting. I'm not sure if that's to preserve it (it being made of vegetable fibres and all that: it does eventually break down) or not. I tried it with the Absolution cleanser from the Birchbox and it worked really well. It's a little exfoliating but it's not scratchy. It didn't hurt my skin or irritate it and afterwards my skin was like silk. I've used it with a variety of cleansers since, and without a cleanser at all as it can be used like that too, and it's been amazing every time. My skin feels so clean and smooth after using this that when it does break down and stop being usable, I will be able to tell the difference to my skin without it. That's the problem with Glossybox: they don't have their own shop, so I'm not sure how easy this is going to be to replace when it goes, but I can't not replace it now that I've had one. 

2) Origins GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream 5ml/0.17 fl. oz - full size RRP £20




4/5 
I was really curious about this as I've heard so many amazing things about Origin products but never had the chance to actually use one. Out of the tube, it looks like a lot like a liquid highlighter. There's a pinkish shimmer to it. On the eyes, this helps to brighten the skin. This cream is moisturising without being greasy. It didn't irritate my eyes, either by stinging the skin or making them water. I use an eye cream by Soap and Glory and I can't put that near my actual eyes as it makes my eyes feel like I have conjunctivitis and they water constantly. It's strictly for the skin under my eyes only, so it's nice that this one doesn't do that. It definitely made me more bright-eyed. Whether it reduces dark circles or not I don't know, mine aren't all that dark and I don't remember noticing a real difference, but there's zero puffiness and they're definitely brighter. Since it didn't bother my eyes, I would be really tempted to switch over to this once my Soap and Glory one has gone. 

3) De Bruyère After Sun Lotion Monoï 50ml/1.76 fl. oz - RRP £9.48




5/5
This. Smells. Amazing. It might not seem like you get a lot, but you only need a little. It's quite a thin, milky formula so a little goes much further than you'd think. It soaks into the skin well and is soothing and moisturising - just what you need after you've spent time in the sun. I don't generally burn anyway, but it's nice to soothe my skin with something when I get home as it can still be dried out from the sun and it can't hurt to moisturise just in case. I couldn't fault this product. I don't even care that it has perfume in it because it's such a lovely scent and it hasn't bothered my skin. I love that it isn't a thick goopy formula too, since it means that I'm not rubbing excessively on skin that may be extra delicate to try and work the product in. This glides over skin effortlessly. I'm not going to have leftover gunk stuck to my clothes and it isn't going to clog all around the opening (not yet, at least) of the tube. It's the perfect skin treat at the end of a day out.

4) Ladival Sun Protection Spray SPF 15 150ml - RRP £19.99




4/5
The second sunscreen in as many boxes and this is more like it! This is a much thicker formula than I thought it would be since it has a pump. It almost looks too thick for the pump to be particularly effective, but it seems to work fine. I haven't had it clog up on me yet anyway. The product itself is white but it does soak into the skin nicely (it didn't leave that white glazed donut look to my skin like some other white sunscreens can), it's not greasy and best of all, it doesn't have a really strong scent to it like the Hawaiian Tropic one does. It doesn't actually smell of anything at all. I don't want my sunscreen to smell really strongly, I want it to be functional. That's way more important. The only thing that bothered me about this is that it's only SPF15, which doesn't seem like a lot. I have other sunscreens around that and I would have liked something with a higher SPF just because I don't have one and on burning hot days, SPF15 just doesn't seem like it would be enough. Still, it's a nice sunscreen for general use and it didn't irritate my skin or attract any wildlife. The pump means that it's fast and easy to apply with minimal mess.


5) Emité Make Up Lip & Cheek Tint 6ml - RRP £12.50




4/5
This has become a staple in my routine when I'm getting ready for work. I use it on my lips, applying it with the wand like it's a lip gloss and then using the wand to blend for an even coverage. I can apply it more heavily if I wish by letting a layer dry and then reapplying, or I can leave it as one layer for a more subtle bit of colour. It will stay there on my lips all day. I can drink water and eat my lunch and it will still be there afterwards with no need for touchups. It generally comes off with my cleanser at the end of the day, but not before. The colour is really nice and suits my skintone really well. The only issue I have with it is the staining power. I said with the Jelly Pong Pong one from Birchbox that if that had a stronger stain it may not work so well on the cheeks, and I got that from this. This doesn't work on the cheeks for me. I can't blend it over my lips by dabbing with my finger as my finger will be bright pink all day, so I have to use the wand for that. If I use the wand to dot it on my cheeks and then try to blend with my finger, I get a bright pink finger and a darker dot of colour where the initial application from the wand was. I can't think of a way for me to apply this on my cheeks with the tools that I have: I'm not willing to sacrifice one of my two makeup sponges to see if it would work with that as I assume it would stain the sponge really badly, and while I could put the product on my finger first and try and apply it that way, I really don't like having bright pink fingers all day. Using cleanser on my fingers afterwards only cleans them so far. It seems that it needs the wear and tear of the day before it will come off. But for the lips this is an amazing stain. I haven't had any problems with mistakes as long as I correct them quickly. The formula is quite thin but not drippy, it dries fast and it definitely stays there.

6) Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Reconstructor Deep Conditioner 20ml - RRP £1.09
5/5
I forgot to get a photo of this before I ripped it open and smothered my hair in it. It's a sachet and there's enough for my hair to be mostly covered, which is quite rare. For people with shorter hair I imagine you'd get two uses out of this. It smells nice, it feels nice to use and it made my hair super soft and shiny. The effect has also lasted, which tells me that it actually did something. I've washed my hair several times since I used this and I can still feel the benefits. Definitely worth a go every now and then if you have dry or damaged hair.

Overall Impression:
I really liked the box for this month! It's definitely been the best one so far. Quite a few of the products could easily be daily use items for me if only they were readily available: I will forever lament the lack of a shop for Glossybox goodies. I love the konjac sponge and will be a little bit lost without it, and I use the lip tint most days for work because it will last for my entire shift. Glossybox seem to send better quality and much more usable makeup items than Birchbox do. They certainly have so far anyway. 

I don't really understand why they've sent another sunscreen though. It kinda seems like the one from last month's box is a waste of a product "slot" since this sunscreen is so much more wearable without the overwhelming stink of Hawaiian Tropic, and if I have to choose which one to use I'll use this one first every time. I'm glad I got the sunscreen for this month, don't get me wrong, but it does seem a bit odd that I have another sunscreen already. I know that it's summer and all that, but still. I wonder if this means I'll be wading through handcream once the winter boxes come around. Still, it's nice to get a Glossybox at last that doesn't have a dud product in it. They've broken that spell, hopefully it will stay that way. 

Box average: 4.5/5
Cumulative box average: 3.9/5

The sneak peek of next month's box is terrifying! They're sending a Utan and Tone facial overnight tanning cream. I'm scared of it already! I don't use tanning anything - I usually don't need to - so I'm already worried that this is going to either do absolutely nothing or make me very orange. And it's a tanning cream so I'm guessing it doesn't all wash off. What if it looks awful and takes a week to go away? Aaaaaargh! But, as I keep saying, trying new things is one of the reasons why I signed up for these boxes, so... 

No comments:

Post a Comment